Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Decorating my house

Why is this so hard for me??

For the last 5 years I haven't really bought anything for our home because in the fall of 2006 we decided we were going to sell our house in Fultondale and either buy or build a new house. We bought a one acre lot in December of 2006, we put our house up for sale in February 2007 and it took a year to sell. We moved into a rental so we could build the new house, but then found out in July that we were moving to Arizona. I didn't want to buy anything for a house I didn't own because what if it didn't work at the next house. I'm glad I didn't make any big purchases because we lived in 3 different houses last year and anything that would have fit in our houses in Arizona and Nevada would probably not fit in our house in California.

I'm to the point now that I'm tired of looking at off-white walls. My plan is to buy stuff that I know will be alright in any house and then when we finally buy a house somewhere I can add items that actually go with the house.

I know that I would rather have pictures of my kids than art. I have some photos that I've been meaning to frame for years like my wedding pictures, so this will be a good time to buy some really pretty frames so the photos don't get ruined.

That is my big plan, but we will see how it turns out. I'm so indecisive (it drives Jason crazy!) when it comes to everything. I'm scared that I won't like things so I just don't buy anything. I still haven't bought a desk or a rug and we have been here 4 months! I'm the queen of buying something and then returning it. I'm also super cheap! I don't mind spending more on furniture because if you buy good furniture it will last forever, but other than that if it's not on sale or cheap, I'm not buying it.

I really wish I was one of those people that can throw things together and they look awesome. I always buy items that match that way at least they go together, but the prettiest rooms are always the ones that have all different colors and patterns. Take my bedroom for example, we bought a black bedroom suite from Haverty's and I love it (one of the few things I have ever been 100% sure about) and then I bought a black and white comforter so now everything has to be black and white. I know that red, blue, or yellow would look great in there, but I'm scared!!

Next time we move we are going to have to buy new couches. We have had them for almost 8 years and all the moving has really taken a toll on the leather. As long as I have kids I will have leather couches. If something gets spilled they don't stain and they are super easy to clean. I like the burgundy ones we have now, but I think I want brown next time. This has nothing to do with my house, but I will also never again buy a car without leather seats! What was I thinking?? Back to the house. We are also going to have to buy a bigger table. Our table now only seats four and it's not big enough to add two more chairs. I love shopping for furniture, but it may take me 6 months to actually decide on something and buy it.

 I'm going to start in the living room since that is where I spend most of my time. Any suggestions on stores that have cool decorations at great prices?

No comments:

Post a Comment