Saturday, May 21, 2011

Things I have learned while living in California

1. It's expensive here. Everybody knows that, but here are some examples: It cost about $5 more to eat at McDonald's than it did in Las Vegas, today gas is $4.27 per gallon, a 12 pack of Coke is $6.99.

2. The highways her are TERRIBLE! They have potholes the size of my car!

3. A lot of California is farm land. I always thought that everywhere looks like L.A. or San Francisco, but in between those two huge cities is nothing but cows and fruit.

4.  There are a lot of women that play golf. We live on a golf course so every time I leave the house I see people teeing off and about 40% are women. I don't like to watch golf, so I can't imagine that it would be fun to play.

5. The only thing that is cheap here is alcohol. If you're a big drinker, this is the place for you. I don't drink much but maybe I should start so I feel like I'm getting a deal on something!

6. Housing is SUPER EXPENSIVE! We rent because we aren't planning on being here too long, but our rent is outrageous. Buying a house is even worse. There is a house for sale across the street from Tyler's school that is 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and 2,281 square feet. It's a nice house, it's older and has a small yard like most of the houses here. So if that house was in Birmingham it would sell for around $250,000. Guess what it cost here...$859,000!! I can't even wrap my head around paying that much for 2,281 square feet.

7.  There are more than 100 earthquakes in California EVERYDAY! Most are too small to notice so I haven't felt one yet. 

Here are some other interesting facts:

California produces more than 17 million gallons of wine each year. 

The highest and lowest points in the continental United States are within 100 miles of one another. 

Mount Whitney measures 14,495 feet and Bad Water in Death Valley is 282 feet below sea level.  

 California is the birthplace of the Frisbee, Barbie dolls, skateboards, bluejeans, and video arcade games. 

 The California Redwood Trees are the tallest and largest living organisms in the world.

 More turkeys are raised in California than in any other state in the United States (I believe this one because there are a TON of wild turkeys in our neighborhood, and there was a huge one on our deck this morning when we got up!).

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to estimate how many gallons of wine I drink a year!

    ReplyDelete